Do You Know About Acid Rain?

Dying Tree, Dead Wood, Dead Plant
When you think about acid, you might consider toxic burns and chemicals. But when it comes to rain, acid rain isn’t what you would expect. Keep on reading to learn more about acid rain, such as whether it is safe to drink.
Acid rain, also referred to as acid residues , is made acidic because of atmospheric pollution vulnerability. Some atmospheric contamination is caused by natural sources, such as volcanoes.
However, the most common cause for this type of atmospheric pollution is industrial burning of coal and other fossil fuels to generate electricity, which create waste gases which contain harmful sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOX). When these sulfur and nitrogen oxides combine with the water and oxygen in the air, it forms acids.
What’s Acid Deposition?
Water acidity and alkalinity is represented as a pH value, which can be measured on scale that ranges from 0 to 14, with 14 being alkaline, 7 being neutral, and 0 being acidic. Rain is considered”acid rain” when it has a pH level between 4.2 and 4.4.
According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), acid deposition may include snow, rain, fog, hail, and even dust. At elevated levels, it can be damaging to plants, landscapes, and the environment as a whole. But in moderation, acid deposition is nothing to be concerned about.
You see, most ordinary rain has a normal pH of 5.6, which makes it slightly acidic. This is a result of water and carbon dioxide reacting to one another in the air, and it is not harmful to people, living organisms, nor plants. After all, if you consider it, drinking water does not generally have a neutral pH value since it retains dissolved mineral content. This means that most acid rain is most likely safe to drink, although it isn’t recommended.
Concerning drinking rain water, you can do so safely in the event you boil it and filter it. Boiling rain water will eliminate any harmful pathogens, while filtering it is going to eliminate extra unwanted impurities, such as chemicals, dust, pollen, mold, and other contaminants.
When collecting rain water for drinking purposes, it’s best to collect it directly from the sky into a clean barrel or bucket. Just make certain to position your collection barrel so that it is not in the way of tree branches and other structures that it may drip off. Also, allow the water to sit for at least 1 hour to allow the heavy particulates to settle in the bottom.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *